Talk to Council first. Before you start a business
We advise that you talk to the relevant Maroondah City Council departments before you start a business (or sign a lease or buy a property) in Maroondah to avoid unnecessary cost and disappointment.
You will need to contact Statutory Planning at Maroondah City Council regarding:
- If your business is suitable for the area (zone) that you are wanting to trade in.
- If you are changing the current use of the premises.
- If you are running a business from home (home occupation) and you want to know if your business meets the regulations.
Signing a lease? It is recommended that you talk to Planning BEFORE you sign, to avoid disappointment.
Contact Statutory Planning Services at Maroondah City Council on 1300 88 22 33.
Community Health Unit
You will need to contact the Community Health Unit at Maroondah City Council to register businesses that provide the following products/services:
- Food (preparing or selling)
- Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, boarding/rooming houses, holiday camps, hostels, and student dormitories
- Hairdressers, beauty salons, electrolysis establishments, ear and body piercing and tattooist establishments
If you are buying or considering buying one of these types of businesses you will need to transfer the registration into your name.
Contact the Community Health Unit at Maroondah City Council on 1300 88 22 33.